On 2 December 2015 the Queensland Legislative Assembly agreed to a motion that the Finance and Administration Committee inquire into and report on the practices of the Labour Hire Industry in Queensland.
- The committee is required to consider:
- The extent, nature and consequence of labour hire employment in industries and/or regions, including within industry supply chains and the responsibilities of entities involved;
- Phoenixing, under-capitalisation and undercutting of conditions by labour hire companies (“companies”) and their impact on the labour market and business;
- The social and economic impacts, including on regional communities, of replacing permanent employees, apprentices and trainees with labour hire workers;
- Allegations that labour hire and sham contracting are being used to avoid workplace laws and other statutory obligations, such as:
- Avoidance of payroll tax and Workcover premiums;
- Underpayment of wages and entitlements, including superannuation; and
- The effectiveness of enforcing current industrial relations laws and instruments, occupational health and safety laws and workers’ compensation laws in the labour hire industry;
- Allegations of exploitation, harassment and other mistreatment of workers employed by companies;
- Whether tendering and employment practices create an uneven playing field for competing businesses;
- The regulation of labour hire in Australian jurisdictions and internationally and effective enforcement mechanisms, including bonds, licensing, registration and other forms of compliance.
The Committee has invited submissions addressing any aspect of the inquiry, from all interested parties.
The closing date for written submissions is Thursday 24 March 2016 by 4.00pm.
Submissions should be sent to:
Finance and Administration Committee
Brisbane Qld 4000
Please note that late submissions may not be accepted by the Committee unless agreed to prior to the closing date.
Submissions: Thursday 24 March 2016 by 4:00pm
Public hearing date: To be confirmed
Reporting due date: 30 June 2016
The Leader of the House, Hon Stirling Hinchliffe MP, introduced the inquiry referral on 2 December 2015. You can view it online at: www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/committees/FAC/2015/I5-LabourHire/I5-trns-2Dec2015.pdf